The earthworks of The Pleasance lie half a mile to the west of the castle across what was once the artificial lake of the Meer. This moated site was laid out by King Henry V in c.1414 as a pleasure garden and a place of entertainment to escape from the pressures of Royal life. Reachable by boat, the four-acre site comprised a rectangular moated earthwork topped by timber buildings, with stone towers at each corner, and enclosing a courtyard garden.
In the 16th century the Pleasance was abandoned and the timber framed banqueting hall was moved into the outer court of the castle but it has since been demolished.
The earthworks of the site are still visible, and its a lovely walk out from the castle to the site on easy footpaths (although be careful if its muddy!).