8. The Abbey Gatehouse

 
image by James Turner

The Augustinian priory of St.Mary the Virgin was founded in 1119. It became one of largest in the midlands and in 1447 the Pope raised it to Abbey status. Dissolved in 1538 it was stripped of its wealth, much of its stone re-cycled (mainly by Robert Dudley) and it was left to ruin.

The 1370 Gatehouse, was the main entrance to the abbey, manned by a porter who lodged in the adjacent two-storey rooms. A wall or further structures would have created a courtyard extending to the museum and the cloister.

Onward Directions

Walk east from the gatehouse through the churchyard, the southern part of the ruin is the Outer Parlour.