11. Abbey Ruins

 
image by James Turner

The Augustinian priory of St.Mary the Virgin was founded in 1119 and raised to an Abbey in 1448. Extending to the modern tennis courts it was an impressive site that owned all the land of Abbey fields as well as mills orchards and other property.  During the siege of 1266 the prior had to put all this at the disposal of the King which nearly bankrupted the Abbey. Dissolved in 1538 it was stripped of its wealth and left to ruin. The 14th century gatehouse was the main entrance to the Abbey but there are more remnants throughout and beyond the churchyard (look out for the plaques).

Onward Directions

Head south past the Swimming Pool (originally built as lido in 1896), up the hill and on to Abbey End.